Tracking Titles Available
Tracking Dog (T.D.) Tracking Dog Excellent (T.D.X.) and Tracking Champion (T.Ch.)
Qualification Tests for Titles
Tracking Dog (T.D.)
- Test 1 is 400 metres with two turns.
- Tests 2 and 3 are both 800 metres with a minimum of two turns.
- There will be two articles placed on the track. The dog must find at least one article and the tracklayer to pass.
- For Tests 1 and 2 the handler is able to nominate the tracklayer. After Test 2, all tracklayers will be unknown to the dog.
Tracking Dog Excellent (T.D.X)
- Tests 4 and 5 are 1000 metres with a minimum of four turns
- Test 6 is 1200 metres with a minimum of five turns.
Tracking Dog Champion (T.Ch)
- Test 7 is 1200 metres with a minimum of six turns.
- The age of the tracks is a minimum of 90 minutes.
LIFE AFTER BECOMING A TRACKING CHAMPION
“Unlike most other disciplines where you can continue to compete indefinitely, Tracking cannot be continued once you have achieved the final title. You can only qualify at each test once.
To keep the experienced dogs interest up the Tracking Club of Victoria runs a members competition called Champion of Champions each year, where Tracking Champions can continue to show off their skills.”
Quote from Dogs Victoria “Tracking” webpage
There are now also Track and Search titles. These are attained by successfully completing trials involving scent trails which simulate search and rescue tracking situations.